According to the legend, Pintea the Brave and his men used to terrify the noblemen in the region of Maramures. They attacked castles, took food, clothes and money from the rich and handed them over to the poor. Catching Pintea proved to be quite impossible, for he’d cover in the deep forests of Maramures and would relentlessly manage to escape, helped by his legendary horse, a flesh and blood animal, rather than a carbon one.
Nowadays, the historical region of Maramures has not only remained unaltered during the years, but its development has carried forward the bravery of Pintea, having always stood as a tower of strength in turbulent times. Culturally rich and remote, the rural scenery of Maramures is made up of traditional villages filled with people wearing the time-honored clothing, who work their lands much the same way they’ve been doing for centuries, with beautiful wooden churches and pleasing traditional foods that happily paint a unique image of a traditional village.
This traditional landscape is home to a complex network of roads, lanes and trails that once served Pintea and his band as a means of fighting against social injustice are now perfectly suited to be explored and ridden on a mountain bike. Climbing and descending the trails on a mountain bike instead of a horse will not just help you shape up a modern version of Pintea the Brave, but will guide you towards the most memorable natural and cultural parts of this region, all while riding the best forest roads and trails there can be!
You’ll have to climb your way out of the numerous valleys that cut through the mountains, only to be rewarded with some pretty technical descents, interspersed with short but steep climbs, all of it in the midst of extraordinary scenery! Also, if you enjoy uphill rides, know that at the end of your climbs you can expect several long and exhausting descents, the kind you’ll want to go back to as soon as you have finished them.
In Pintea’s times, terrifying the nobleman was a pretty demanding hobby, which called for some much needed rest. Likewise, mountain biking can be a pretty exhausting activity, which in turn calls for both a good night sleep and some quality food. We have put a great deal of effort into finding the best overnight stays for you guys, to make sure you get the rest you deserve at the highest level of comfort. We have also placed a special emphasis on allowing you to enjoy the typical atmosphere of a traditional village, which is why the housing units we have selected for you provide a pleasant mixture of high comfort and traditional architecture, being located in the Breb village, right at the heart of Maramures. Let’s face it, Pintea the Brave would have surely killed for such luxuries! And while we’re talking accommodation, keep in mind that the meals that come with it will consist of locally sourced ingredients, giving you a taste of the local traditional cuisine, satisfying all your cravings and helping you recover after a hard day.
To sum it up, if you are a mountain bike enthusiast who loves the longer rides consisting of pretty demanding climbs, with a great mix of terrain, single track & forest roads and technical downhills, plus you also have a taste for the rural culture and the old way of living, then you’ll look forward to riding Pintea’s trails. Everything takes place right in the heart of Maramureș, a place ranked first among National Geographic’s best trip destinations in 2015.
How the trip will unfold:
There are two ways of exploring the legacy of Pintea the Brave:
1. The Full package
- Depending on the size of the group, there will be one or two mountain biking guides with impeccable training, solid technical skills and a perfect knowledge of the areas you will be riding through. They will also be able to provide you with advice regarding your technique, as well as suggestions on how to best pace yourself throughout the duration of the ride
- 6 nights accommodation at various B&Bs or hotels (depending on the availability of rooms and your own choice, communicated in advance)
- Traditional breakfast consisting of local cuisine, as well as dinner (6 x breakfast, 6 x dinner)
- A small welcome package complete with the inevitable glass of traditional “pălincă”, the home-made Romanian fruit brandy, to light up the mood!
- Transportation from the airport/train station to the place of accommodation and back (at the end of your stay), as well as occasional transportation between the place of accommodation and the starting point of our bike routes
- Presentation of the route for the following day
- Technical advice, various recommendations regarding training and diet, included in the evening presentations.
2. The Guided Package
- Depending on the size of the group, there will be one or two mountain biking guides with impeccable training, solid technical skills and a perfect knowledge of the areas you will be riding through. They will also be able to provide you with advice regarding your technique, as well as suggestions on how to best pace yourself throughout the duration of the ride;
This package does not include accommodation, breakfast or dinner, nor does it include transportation, presentations for each separate ride or presentations regarding training, technique and proper diet.
STILL HAVEN’T MADE UP YOUR MIND??
Get in touch with us and we will provide you with all the information you need.
Do you need a mountain-bike, an e-bike or a road bike?
Let us know what you’re looking for and we’ll do our best to fulfill your desires in terms of equipment!
[contact-form-7 id=”1429″ title=”Form Experiente: Pintea EN”]