The Hero Route will take you back in time, enabling you to enjoy mountain biking activities in the middle of some of the most spectacular areas of the Carpathian Mountains.
You will set foot in a world that hasn’t been completely altered by the touch of modern civilization, a world still ruled by the wilderness of the mountains, by breath-taking views and in particular by an abundance of places crisscrossed by paths and trails that are just perfect for riding a mountain bike.
Our base camp, which will also serve as starting point, will be close to the town of Borșa, which is located between the two major mountains that make up the Maramureș Mountains National Park, on one side, and the Rodna Mountains National Park on the other. Some of our routes will begin and end right on the premises of our accommodation, whereas others will start a little further away – so as to cover as wide an area as possible during the little time we will be spending there. Our adventure will include long and strenuous climbs, over exciting forest roads, well-defined paths and wild trails rich in technical elements, all of which are part of a grand and truly extraordinary landscape.
The mountains themselves breathe history, as many of the forest roads we will be riding on go back to the beginning of the 20th century, when they were built to serve the troops marching into battle during the First and then the Second World War. The town of Borșa also has a long history of mining operations the remains of which are visible over large parts of the Maramureș Mountains, where nature is slowly but steadily taking over the impressive infrastructure made up of roads, tunnels and concrete constructions that once enabled a wide range of mining operations. The network of roads that back then was used by mining staff or by soldiers going to war is now a perfect playground, waiting to be explored both through climbs and fast descents on your mountain bike. The historical background and the grandiosity of the views will ensure an unforgettable experience in the saddle.
You can expect to find the climax of your adventure in the challenging descents provided by the badly damaged trails and roads that cut through the high mountain pastures and steep mountain sides of the Rodna Mountains. You will enjoy a genuinely unparalleled experience thanks to the awe-inspiring scenery, the abundance of historical mementos, the routes that will test your endurance but also provide you with lots of variety and grandiosity, and, with just a bit of luck, maybe even some encounters with wild animals in their natural and protected habitat.
If our offer seems attractive but you’re not sure you can handle the pre-established schedule, rest assured there is no reason to be worried. We are very flexible and prepared to adjust the program and the routes both before your arrival and during the adventure. This means that you will get to choose whether you want to ride only on certain parts of the routes that we initially suggested or you will be at liberty to choose alternative routes that are more to your liking.
See how your adventure will unfold::
There are two ways of booking the Hero Route adventure:
1. The Full package
- Depending on the size of the group, there will be one or two mountain biking guides with impeccable training, solid technical skills and a perfect knowledge of the areas you will be riding through. They will also be able to provide you with advice regarding your technique, as well as suggestions on how to best pace yourself throughout the duration of the ride
- 6 nights accommodation at various B&Bs or hotels (depending on the availability of rooms and your own choice, communicated in advance)
- Traditional breakfast consisting of local cuisine, as well as dinner (6 x breakfast, 6 x dinner)
- A small welcome package complete with the inevitable glass of traditional “pălincă”, the home-made Romanian fruit brandy, to light up the mood!
- Transportation from the airport/train station to the place of accommodation and back (at the end of your stay), as well as occasional transportation between the place of accommodation and the starting point of our bike routes
- Presentation of the route for the following day
- Technical advice, various recommendations regarding training and diet, included in the evening presentations.
2. THE GUIDED PACKAGE FOR THE HERO ROUTE
- Depending on the size of the group, there will be one or two mountain biking guides with impeccable training, solid technical skills and a perfect knowledge of the areas you will be riding through. They will also be able to provide you with advice regarding your technique, as well as suggestions on how to best pace yourself throughout the duration of the ride;
This package does not include accommodation, breakfast or dinner, nor does it include transportation, presentations for each separate ride or presentations regarding training, technique and proper diet.
STILL HAVEN’T MADE UP YOUR MIND??
Get in touch with us and we will provide you with all the information you need.
Do you need a mountain-bike, an e-bike or a road bike?
Let us know what you’re looking for and we’ll do our best to fulfill your desires in terms of equipment!
[contact-form-7 id=”1431″ title=”Form Experiente: Hero EN”]